3rd Infantry Battalion was organized at the Upson Camp Ground, near The Rock, Georgia, during the summer of 1861. It was formed with three companies, later increased to five. The unit took part in the Cumberland Gap and Kentucky Campaigns, then serving under General Rains lost thirteen percent of the 300 engaged at Murfreesboro. In the spring of 1863 the battalion merged into the 37th Georgia Infantry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonels Anthony F. Rudler and Marcellus A. Stovall were in command.