4th Battalion Sharpshooters was organized from part of the 3rd Georgia Infantry Battalion during the spring of 1863. The unit contained four companies and was assigned to General Bates' and Tyler's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. It served from Chickamauga to Atlanta, moved with Hood into Tennessee, and ended the war in North Carolina. At Chickamauga the battalion had 92 effectives on the first day and 54 on the second, and in December, 1863, it totalled 101 men and 70 arms. On April 26, 1865, it surrendered. Major Theodore D. Caswell was in command.