Smith's Legion, Georgia
Smith's Legion was organized during the spring
of 1862 with a cavalry and infantry battalion. For a time the
legion was under the command of Colonel Sumner J. Smith.
The cavalry battalion raised some of its members in Burke and
Telfair counties and contained six companies. It was attached
to the Department of East Tennessee, then was involved in the
Kentucky Campaign. In the spring of 1863 the battalion merged
into the 6th Georgia Cavalry Regiment. Its commanders were Lieutenant
Colonel John R. Hart and Major Benjamin F. Brown.
The infantry battalion recruited many of its men in Gilmer and
Floyd counties. Assigned to the Department of East Tennessee,
it served in Kentucky and later was stationed at Cumberland Gap
and Loudon, Tennessee. During the spring of 1863 the unit merged
into the 65th Georgia Infantry Regiment. Its field officers were
Lieutenant Colonel John S. Fain and Major Robert H. Moore.